- 250g fresh tagliatelle
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 100g chestnut mushrooms
- 150ml single cream
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 20g Parmesan cheese
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1 lemon
- 70g rocket leaves
- Fill and boil kettle. Place a large frying pan on a medium heat and add a splash of olive oil.
- Chop bacon into thin strips and add to hot frying pan. Fry for around 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly golden.
- Fill large saucepan with boiling kettle water, place it on a high heat and add a good pinch of salt.
- Slice mushrooms. Pick and finely chop the rosemary leaves, discard the stalk.
- When bacon is golden, add mushrooms and rosemary to the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes until mushrooms are cooked.
- Thinly slice fennel bulb.
- Add cream to pan of bacon and mushrooms and bring up to a gentle simmer.
- Drop pasta into boiling water and cook according to packet instructions.
- Turn heat off under your sauce and finely grate in a zest of half a lemon. Season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a mixing bowl and add 3 times as much olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wash and dry rocket leaves and add it to bowl of dressing along with sliced fennel. Mix it only when served.
- Scoop out and reserve a cupful of cooking water from the pasta, then drain the pasta. Tip pasta into frying pan with the sauce.
- Gently stir the pasta through the sauce. If the sauce is too think, add a little of the reserved cooking water to loosen it.
- Divide the pasta between your plates and finely grate the Parmesan cheese over the top. Toss the salad in the dressing and serve on the side.